Stanford Online FAQ
It is a nationally normed standardized test accepted in most states that is taken online at your computer.
The Stanford Online is available for grades 3-12, but 3rd grade testing is only available from January 1 – July 31.
Seton administers the Complete Battery and Abbreviated Battery of the Stanford Online weekly over a 2-day period on specified days from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST according to the following schedule:
- Complete Battery — Part 1 Monday, Part 2 Tuesday
- Abbreviated Battery — Part 1 Wednesday, Part 2 Thursday
Session codes are created and sent on each day of testing. They are emailed prior to 9:00 am on each morning of testing. They do not carry over from one day to another. If it is after 9:00 am and you have not received the email, try one or more of the following:
- Check your spam box.
- Login into your Seton testing account and see if there is a yellow page banner that has a link to click to view the Stanford session codes available for that day.
- Check your invoice and verify that you are in fact registered for testing that day.
The Complete Battery is a 2-day test with approximately 2.5 hours of testing each day. The Abbreviated Battery is a 2-day test with approximately 1.5 hours of testing each day.
- Complete Battery — Approximately 4.5 – 5.5 total hours over 2 days.
- Abbreviated Battery — Approximately 2.75 – 3.5 total hours over 2 days.
View/Print a two-day schedule for the Stanford 10 Online.
The Stanford Online is untimed, but the tests for each of the session codes need to be finished by 5pm Eastern Standard Time each day of testing.
No, you can pause the test and take breaks during the day as long as you finish the testing for each of the session codes by 5pm Eastern Standard Time each day of testing.
Yes, the codes you receive on Day 1 MUST be completed on Day 1 and the codes received on Day 2 MUST be completed on Day 2. Make-ups for missed sessions are done on Friday and new codes are sent.
The language session is divided into two sections. Exit the first section when prompted and then it will go to the second section.
There is an online, non-graded practice test of 29-34 questions (depending on the grade level) each day of testing for grades 3-8 which introduces students to the types of questions they will encounter on the actual test. It also familiarizes them with the Stanford Online test-taking process. You can purchase paper booklet Stanford Practice Tests & Practice Test Kits (Kits include the answer key) for grades 3-12 which we can mail to you before your scheduled test week.
The Stanford Online tests Word Study Skills for grades 3, 4, and Fall of grade 5 only; Reading Skills/Comprehension, Vocabulary, Mathematics, Language, Spelling, Social Studies, & Science. Click the following link for a detailed chart of the Stanford Online Scope & Sequence.
The Abbreviated Battery does not include the Lexile measurement, plus there are fewer questions per subject area. In addition, the Complete Battery test report is more detailed than the Abbreviated Battery test report.
The Lexile® Framework is a tool for connecting the reading ability of a student (based on a student’s Lexile score) with reading materials (list of books) that have a suitable level of difficulty for the student. We have a PDF about the Lexile measurement or you can go to Lexile.com.
We ask that you order 3 weeks to 5 months in advance of your desired testing week since we need to know ahead of time how many licenses to purchase for each person testing during a given week.
However, Stanford 10 Online orders can be moved up to an earlier test date all year-round. If you are requesting an earlier test date than is allowed at check out, in the comments box indicate the dates you actually want to test. Stanford test dates can be moved up until Thursday 5:00 PM the week before for the next week at no additional charge. After 5pm on Thursday, Stanford orders placed for the next week or Monday morning Stanford orders placed for the same testing week cost an additional $25 per student. In the comments box at check-out, you can give us permission to charge your credit card for the additional fee or you can call us toll free at 888-766-0029 to confirm.
The Stanford Online norming periods are slightly different from the other standardized tests. August 1-December 31 is FALL norms. January 1-March 31 is MIDYEAR norms. April 1 – July 31 is SPRING norms. Stanford Online tests CANNOT be normed for a different period other than the one in which they were taken. In other words, no off-norm scoring is available for the Stanford Online.
Yes. An online, non-grade practice test each day of testing for grades 3-8 is included in your order of a Stanford Online test. You may also order paper booklet Stanford Practice Tests & Practice Test Kits (Kits include the answer key) for grades 3-12 which we can mail to you before your scheduled test week.
- If your student misses a day of testing or fails to complete a testing session that is scheduled for that day, please call us regarding a make-up session.
- A nominal fee of $15.00 will be charged per student for all make-ups.
- Make-ups are done on Friday of the original testing week you scheduled.
- We do offer specialized make-up days if someone absolutely cannot do a make-up test on Friday of their testing week. This make-up can only be scheduled with the Stanford administrator and the fee is $25.00.
Customers may reschedule their testing date for no additional fee 3 or more business days before the beginning of the testing week. Tests rescheduled less than 3 days from the beginning of the testing week will incur an additional $15.00 per test rescheduling administration fee to be charged on their card. Once a test has been rescheduled it cannot be cancelled.
- Stanford Online tests purchased from Seton Testing may be cancelled for a full refund 3 or more business days before the beginning of your test week.
- Test orders cancelled less than 3 days before the beginning of your test week will receive a 50% refund.
- Test orders cannot be cancelled and will not be refunded the day of testing.
- Testing sessions can be rescheduled the day of testing BUT cannot be cancelled for a refund.
- Cancellations must be made in writing by emailing Seton Testing Services at email@example.com.
Seton posts test results for the Stanford Online within about 2 business days after test completion. We will send an email notification.
- Complete battery results are posted before 5:00 pm on Thursday.
- Abbreviated battery results are posted before 5:00 pm on Monday.