The Interest Explorer™ is a career guidance and counseling instrument designed to help students make wise educational and career-planning decisions. It provides data about students’ interests in 14 career areas that are directly linked to the most recent publications of the Department of Labor, including the Guide for Occupational Exploration (GOE).
The Interest Explorer™ must be taken with the ITED® (IOWA Test of Educational Development® Form A) Grades 9-12, Levels 15-18. B.A. or B.S. degree required for administration.
How the Interest Explorer™ Evaluates
Students are asked to respond to a number of activity-related statements representing a wide range of occupations. These statements survey students’ preferences in careers, school subject areas, and general opportunities (such as working with others). The Interest Explorer™ is designed to assist all students in developing more awareness about how their interests relate to future education and to possible careers. Test time is approximately 45 minutes. Grades 9-12 can be tested together. Career areas assessed are:
- Animals and Plants
- Business Services
- Computer Technology
- Customer Services
- Educational and Social Services
- Engineering Technology
- Legal Services
- Management and Administration
- Mechanical and Craft Technology
- Medical Sciences
- Physical and Life Sciences and Mathematics
- Protective Services
- B.A. or B.S. Degree
- 21-day rental period
- Completed Test Administrator Form (one-time completion required by publisher)
- Restrictions: Interest Explorer™ is not available in Iowa, Missouri, Utah (Grade 11), Virgin Islands or the Dallas Independent School District.
- The Interest Explorer™ Test must be taken with the ITED® (IOWA Test of Educational Development® Form A) Grades 9-12, Levels 15-18.
- Test can only be machine scored.
- Please allow 6 to 8 weeks for ITED®/Interest Explorer™ Test Results.
- By default we score tests between the below dates according to the corresponding norming data.
- Tests will not be scored until all test materials are returned and lost/late/damaged fees have been paid.
|September 1 – November 30||Fall Norms|
|December 1 – Last day of February||Midyear Norms|
|March 1 – August 30||Spring Norms|
For refunds and other policies, please see Policies & Procedures for the IOWA, CogAT & Interest Explorer.
Interest Explorer™ with IOWA (ITED, Grades 9-12)
Please allow 6 to 8 weeks for scoring of the ITED® when ordered with the Interest Explorer™.
Interest Explorer™ with IOWA (ITED) and CogAT (Grades 9-12)
Please allow 6 to 8 weeks for scoring of the ITED® & CogAT when ordered with the Interest Explorer™.